Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Could you please tell me my insurance responsibilities for

Customer Question

Could you please tell me my insurance responsibilities for the following circumstances?1. Hired out foreman in a supervisor capacity to work with owner's staff to build a greenhouse. They are supplying workers and their own tools.2. Hired as a sub-contractor to build greenhouses & shelters. I would supply tools as necessary and staff. The owner of the company who makes the product (greenhouses & shelters) would be hiring me.Also as a subcontractor do I issue a contract showing what I will be doing and supplying and pay terms? also who is responsible if injury occurs? also who is responsible if there is an installation error?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No issue have occured. just want to be ahead of the game if possible. I am located in ALberta Canada, but do work in other provinces - mainly BC. I do carry Alberta & BC WCB coverage
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Are you incorporated?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, Sole propietor
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

So you are at some personal risk if anything goes wrong as your personal assets are not protected.

For this reason it is vital that you have insurance that covers anyone that works for you even if you are under contract for someone else and even if they have insurance.

The reason why is that if they are hurt they will sue if they can. With WCB they likely cannot. But they can sue you for other reasons such as if their car or cellphone gets harmed for example.

And even if you were to win you would get stuck with some legal fees.

If you have adequate insurance then you never need to even hire your own lawyer.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?