Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My in laws, Canadian citizens, had their will updated and

Customer Question

Hi, my in laws, Canadian citizens, had their will updated and witnessed while in the US. My understanding from my in laws advisor that they need to have an affidavit of execution filled out and notarized. I am an engineer in Ontario, can I be the notary for this document or do I need to organize a notary / lawyer for my inlaws?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I would say no....I am unsure of the requirements for this. Should my inlaws have filed / registered their will somewhere....It is with their financial consultant and I would expect the original lawyer....
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this will get us started
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

You are not a notary unless you pay to be one which means registering and paying a fee each year.

So you cannot do this unless you are actually a notary.

But they should see a lawyer to make sure their Wills reflect the law in Ontario in any event.

It does not cost much to have a lawyer review their Wills but an error could cost a lost down the road.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?