Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My boyfriend and I have been living together for 3 years. He

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have been living together for 3 years. He has children from a previous relationship for whom he pays monthly support. If he and I were to marry is there a possibility that his 'ex' could claim against any of my assets for the support payments should my boyfriend be unable to meet the obligations?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

There is no possibility.

Your assets have nothing to do with her.

Neither she nor any third party creditor can ever get your assets just because you get married.

Any assets or debts you end up sharing are between the two of you and don't affect third parties.

So as long as you never sign for a debt or so long as you don't hold joint assets your assets are always safe.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks so much for the speedy response. It confirmed what we thought and put my mind at rest regarding assets that are solely in my name. I appreciate your assistance. Enjoy your evening.

You are very welcome. I am glad I could help.

Take good care.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?