Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I have a student loan from a degree I got in the US in 1994.

Customer Question

I have a student loan from a degree I got in the US in 1994. They have just contacted my employer that they will institute proceedings for garnishing my wages. The debt is now $74,150 USD. They have not contacted me until now. My CPA informs me that if they have not done so in the past 2 years, the debt cannot be collected. What legal service can help me?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They sent an official notification to my employer, UHN
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is late at night. I am willing and able to defer this until the morning... What say you?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the original framing of the question is adequate for now..... please respond
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this online service coming from Canada or the US? I am asking the question in terms of the Ontario Consumer Protection Act...
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am a lawyer in Ontario but I don't know what the Ontario Consumer Protection Act has to do with this fact situation.

Perhaps you mean the Limitation Act?

But is the loan not from a creditor in the US?

So what has Ontario's laws have to do with your facts?

Please clarify so that I can try and answer you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My CPA informed me that the Ontario Consumer Protection Act has a 2 yr clause: If the creditor has not contacted me within the past 2 yrs that the debt cannot be collected. Also, that since the loan is from the US, this credit agency must use a Canadian agency, and go through a Canadian Court --- which would authorize, or not, the garnishment.. and that this is a costly procedure for that creditor. But they cannot go directly to my employer. I has to be through the Canadian Courts.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am unaware of the Limitation Act... and am unaware of what constitutes 'due process' for a garnishment to take place, when I am Canadian and working in Canada, and the creditor is from the US.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It appears that this case is something complicated; and that it might best be addressed by my seeking a personal legal consult, in a face to face meeting [rather than bouncing back and forth online]. Thank you for your initial comments. But I will not be continuing with this site and service in exploring my case.

This question can be answered simply and at once. Your CPA should not be giving out legal information as it is entirely wrong.

Please let me know if I should answer and I will.

This is very basic law but your CPA has gotten it pretty well entirely incorrectly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response. Though my comments read as if my CPA was counseling me, I recognize that those comments served but as flags for issues I might want to consider. I lawyer in the State of Massachusetts, with whom I described the situation -- and where the involved credit company resides -- said: "They won't get a thing....". Your comments have alerted me to other flags. Therefore , since I am not a lawyer, but am a healthcare professional -- who recognizes the importance of documentation, review of options, and the need for corroborative research -- I will continue, as noted, with the services of a local attorney in a contractual relationship. Again, my respectful thanks.