Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment

Our daughter borrowed 900.00 dollars from us and now refuses

Customer Question

Our daughter borrowed 900.00 dollars from us and now refuses to pay it back. The only documentation we have is the cancelled cheque and in the comments I had written LOAN, is this enough to put this in for collection - we live in Ontario
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

You can't put it in for any collection until you have a court order that she pay you. You need that order first, before any garnishment or enforcement.

You can take her to Small Claims Court, that's easy to do. You can find the forms online easily or go to your nearest court to ask where Small Claims is. You don't need a lawyer for it, and a cancelled cheque that says "loan" on it is certainly good evidence.

Is there anything else to discuss? I'll await your question or comment. If I've answered you fully, may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.