Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Our strata rented us a storage unit 10 years ago. we were

Customer Question

Our strata rented us a storage unit 10 years ago. we were told that we would have use of the area unil we no longer needed it or we sold our unit. Council at the time decided on these terms as the units needed work done to make them functional as a storage room. this is in the strata minutes but we were not given a formal contract. It was a verbal contract. We have been given no formal notice in writing but were told we have to vacated by November 1st because they want more money. Are they able to go back on the original agreement?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

When you came to this agreement 10 years ago what was agreed in terms of the rent and when if ever it could be raised?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There wan no mention of any raises in rent verbal or written
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

And for 10 years there was no raise in the rent?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No talk of raising the rent. I'm fine with a rent increase. I am just courious if they can legally break the verbal contract they made with us. There are two witnesses who were there at this time and remember the verbal contract that was made to us
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The strata wants to auction off the unit to the highest bidder.
Eight weeks ago we invested time and money redoing all the shelving as we had no idea this was going to happen.
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

They most assuredly have to adhere to the verbal agreement. Verbal agreements are binding though sometimes they are harder to prove.

But you won't have trouble proving this as there are two witnesses.

So they cannot kick you out of the storage unit.

You or a lawyer acting for you may have to threaten a lawsuit.

If they are planning to auction the unit off soon you should be sure to have the letter sent at once.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?