Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a question with respect to my partner being charged

Customer Question

I have a question with respect to my partner being charged with 10 counts of various things assault confinement etc. I can't drop the charges. I'm wondering what I can do within the the law to get charges withdrawn or what ability I have to put an end to this. I was told I could say I made it all up or that I was drunk when I have the statement but there are obviously ramifications for me if I did that. Looking for some guidance.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Police report. Video Statement medical file release form.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all. Thanks so much!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry that you are in this difficult situation.

For you to say that you were drunk and made it up will harm you considerably. You will end up with a criminal record. As well, the police are not going to believe you and this will not assist your partner in any way.

What you can do is speak to the crown and tell the crown that you are not afraid of your partner and that you do not want the charges to go ahead.

That does not mean that the crown will withdraw the charges but it will make the situation for your partner somewhat better.

But, the bot***** *****ne is you did not charge your partner. The police did and they did that because they had reasonable grounds for believing that these criminal offences did occur. So your stating that you have changed your mind about this does not mean that a criminal offence has not been committed and it certainly does not mean that the crown or the police will agree to withdraw the charges.

Your best next step would be to consult with victim services who will be able to assist you best in terms of the entire process.

I'm sorry that I could not give you the answer that you were hoping for but I am glad that you were prudent enough to ask you for doing something that could cause you irreparable harm.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?