Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I just got a call from the RCMP - stating that someone is

Customer Question

I just got a call from the RCMP - stating that someone is accusing me of child molestation that supposedly happened 33 years ago when she was 5 and i was 14. The police want me to come in and make a video statement - what are my options
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Alberta, canada - I take it that is site is on the US
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the officer said that something came out in her therapy and her therapist told her to report it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The officer told me that if I did not make a statement that I would be presumed guilty
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The RCMP officer told me he was arranging a time for me to come in and make a statement - What should I do...what are my options
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

This is a US site, but you're on the Canada Law category.

Are you absolutely certain that the officer told you that you'd be presumed guilty if you didn't make a statement? That sounds very unusual.

I'm still here if you want to discuss the issue. I hope you haven't gone in for a statement yet.