Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

This is for a real estate lawyer. i own a rental property.

Customer Question

This is for a real estate lawyer.
i own a rental property. The tenants lease is for one year and it completes April 1, 2017. With their consent I put the house up for sale.
There is a clause in the lease that states, "The Landlord reserves the right to evict the Tenant on legal grounds based on the applicable Landlord and Tenant Act of Ontario. These include, but are not limited to the following grounds:
Landlord requires premises to live
The potential home buyers have signed back an agreement for purchase stating that they want the house, but not the tenants, as they want to live in the home.
If this lease carries over to the new home owners who become the landlord, can they evict the tenants in order to live in the house?
Or can I now give 60 days written notice that they are to leave because the new home owners want to live in the house?
What would be the legal way to allow this sale to go through so the tenants leave within 60 days?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you asking about evicting before the full fixed term is up?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!