Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I was with my former partner for almost 14 years, from 1995

Customer Question

I was with my former partner for almost 14 years, from 1995 to 2008. We owned a home together as well as it's contents. He ended the relationship. We both hired lawyers and agreed to split the value of the home 50 50 and I recieved $210,000. Because he made more and I gave up a permanent teaching contract in Edmonton to move with him, my lawyer suggested he should pay me alimony or give me a lump sum payment. He gave me $50, 000. I did not go after his retirement fund, rsps, or investments. I believe now that was a mistake. Is it possible to file a claim now, approximately 7 years later?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

This was a common law relationship, correct?

Did you get a chance to read my question to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!