Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My spouse common law left our home with h is rent last Wen

Customer Question

Hello my spouse common law left our home with h is rent last Wen she informed me on sat that we were threw and she didn't know when she would be back I have changed the locks since sat informed her of this as well as informed her that she is free the get her personal belongings anytime as long as she is with a witness we have lived together almost two years and been at this home since last Feb last year she signed a new lease last weekend but didn't put me on it unknown to me what can I do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have legal right to change locks as long as I have keys for land lord
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I'm very sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you saying that she is the only one on the lease?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Why did the landlord let her do this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There friends and I was unaware that I wasn't in the new lease

That makes no sense because then the landlord evicted you illegally.

I suggest you speak to the landlord and state that you will take the landlord before the landlord tenant board or court if the landlord doesn't immediately put you back on the lease.

However, you do not have the right to change the locks unless you are on the lease alone.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.