Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I have been married to a senior lawyer for 6 years. It is a

Customer Question

I have been married to a senior lawyer for 6 years. It is a complex situation, but I had significant assets when we married, which I entirely used up in developing a small, high quality cattle ranch. My cash flow thus is minimal. He however has a relatively large income, but has neglected to pay significant income tax arrears, which he now tell me I am 50% responsible for. Perhaps my better question would be who in Saskatoon would be interested in assisting me thru this. Am I indeed responsible to pay his taxes, or support his lavish holidays 'with the guy's.... Golf buddies, etc?
I HAVE consulted Don Mcivor and do not feel certain that he will realize this will be a difficult and intricate case. Do you have any opinions? He is also terribly verbally abusisive, And I am literally breaking down .
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: I am sorry, I assume you were Canadian. I am in Saskatchewan, the farm is just outside of Saskatoon.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes. Just for your info, I am a trained microbiologist whose first husband possessed a Master's Degree in tax law, and was almost a generation older than I was. I am now in my 50's, my first husband passed away after a loving long marriage at 62, in 2014. I am in real trouble here, I did not wish to offend my new husband with a prenuptial agreement... I was comfortable for life, security that I deferred from as I began this marriage. Incidently, my new husband was my conveyancing lawyer for the transactions involved in selling. My
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: Too bad you put most of your assets Into the home (and ranch). That is now half his, matters not who bought it. Basically, too bad for you. His practice is hard to quantify, he has large lifelong liabilities for a dependent adult child... And has advised me that as the country life does not suit him, his lawyers have threatened to have our home sold, and a he offers to pay for a small limited amount and time, supposal support.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It seems personal or petty but he swore to me that the life was a dream of his, and he had complete knowledge of my financial affairs while I asked him nothing of his. He has not revealed to his lawyers the unbalanced extent of my financial contributions... They have been large and ongoing. Do you have any advice .. He is anaco
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am a family lawyer in Canada.

I have a few questions first.

Did he accumulate this debt over the 6 years or did he just find out about the debt now but it was owing from other years?

Did you live with him first?