Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I work for a family business where the husband insistently

Customer Question

I work for a family business where the husband insistently had to have me work in his company to help his wife. I have been there nine months and his wife hasn't been there more than two weeks combined. She is upset that he hired me to replace her and treats me differently than the employees she hires. Their marital situation places strain on communication and I am consistently trying to meet both their expectations but their direction often opposes each other. I have witnessed and they have repeatedly stated their constructive dismissal approach to getting rid of people they dont want around anymore. I left a stable municipal career to be be a part of his succession plan in running the company. I have been asked to do illegal work by way of misreporting serious issues and I am concerned that this level of stress cannot be sustained. Do I have any rights? I am worried sick and my income is the primary income for my family.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They say they just make peoples lives difficult until they end up quitting. I have seen this first hand. I am concerned with his wifes emotional outbursts that she will just come in one day and kick me out. I have not stopped shaking since her last meeting with me on thursday. This time she didnt yell and cry at me and stomp out of the room but she was intensley angry with my approach and values and said some pretty negative comments given she hasnt worked with me in months.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did they lure you away from your other job?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am an Economic Development Professional and have been on that career path for the past 6 years. I ran an incredibly successful event in October 29th last year that the owner attended. The following day, the owner contacted me and asked if I would meet him for coffee. I agreed to meet him on my lunch hour at a coffee shop. The first thing he said was, " I guess the rest of this meeting will contingent on your answer to my first question. Are you open to a career change at this time? I had an ah-ha moment last night and you are exactly what I need in my company". He lured me by stating I would be running his company and a solid choice for his succession plan; he also offered above average salary, autonomy, work travel, paid continuing education of my choosing, decision-making authority, a flexible schedule and the option to work from home. I left a secure municipal position at a highlight of my career for an opportunity of a lifetime. Now that I work there, I see the volatility of his ever-changing mind, lack of communication and respect for others or the law. I am also accountable to meet the expectations of he and his wife's volatile emotional state. I was told the onboarding process would be abit difficult to navigate through the first three months transition and that I could experience two introductions. I remained open and was sensitive to the logic but I need to set boundaries on how they can treat me and what I can say no to if they ask me to mistreat others, report wsib info, quality assurance info, cfia info, and I need to put things in writing because he dodges accountability by not putting anything in writing, including my job description and who I report to. I am concerned that my families livelihood is in the hands of two people who are really rich, shady business people that don't care. They have a lengthy track record of turnover and whoever his wife doesn't like, she gets rid of them. I have witnessed their approach first hand.
I'm sorry to hear of this very difficult and completely unfair situation.As a single parent of four children I certainly understand the stress you are feeling.Unfortunately, you cannot force the employer to do the right thing. I'm sure you know that.All you can do is treat this situation as others have, as a situation of constructive dismissal and and quit. But when you sue you would sue for much higher damages then someone who just been working there for under year because you were lured away from a steady job and will be suffering a much higher level of damages than someone else who just happened to start working for them a year ago.So your next step would be to consult with an employment lawyer in your city face to face with a view to retaining a lawyer and suing if you decide that you should quit.Does that help as a starting point?Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions that you have. If you do not have any follow-up questions I hope that you feel that I have earned a five star rating. If you do not feel that I have earned this rating please do not hesitate to post back and let me know how I can better assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will still be here for you and you can ask me other follow-up questions at a later date without any further charge.