Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was denied at the Canadian boarder due to a previous DWI.

Customer Question

I was denied at the Canadian boarder due to a previous DWI. I am suppose to be in Canada yesterday for hockey training camp. I was told I need a temporary resident permit to live there for 6 months. I have tried every phone number and even went into the consulate in NYC and no help. I need help. I don't know what to do..
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to pay $200 CDN and fill out this form, which you can fill out online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp
If it has also been more than 5 years since you completed your sentence you can apply for a certificate of rehabilitation at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to fill out form but it is asking for personal reference code and I can't seem to figure it out
Thank you for your reply.
Sorry, you need to complete the "Come to Canada" tool first and get the code: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometocanada.asp
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did! But there is no code. It keeps bringing me to eta which it says I do not need
Thank you for your reply.
It must not be working correctly, because when I did it the site took me through each question and step and gave me a number You need to physically call Canada Immigration today and get them to walk you through, since it does not seem to be working correctly. Also, if you are near a Canadian point of entry, you can actually fill out the TRP in person by going into the point of entry border office and paying the fee with the application.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried they are closed... I am 7 hours away from boarder. What about airport? Is there a immigration office that I can go to?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried to do it at the boarder and they sent me to NYC Canadian consulate
Thank you for your reply.
You cannot do it at the airport I am afraid, you need a point of entry office and the airport does not have a point of entry office. I have no idea why the Canadian border office would send you to the NY Consulate, since they are supposed to take the applications.
Officers are not going to be available to answer phones on weekends or outside of normal business hours though, so you either have to go into a border office or wait to get an officer on the phone on Monday.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just don't understand why this is so complicated. I can't seem to get help anywhere and I need to get there ASAP.
At this point what will happen if I go to an airport and try to fly? Is my passport flagged? What if I go and come back within 6 months?
Canada makes it as impossible as they can to admit anyone with any criminal history including a DUI. Your passport is not flagged, they pull up your criminal history when you arrive and they can see your criminal record. It really does not matter when you go, now or 6 months from now or if you fly or drive, they pull your criminal record when you get to the border.
So you need to either file the TRP or file a certificate of rehabilitation, those are your only two options if you want admission.