Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How can I resolve a dispute with a builder who sees the

Customer Question

How can I resolve a dispute with a builder who sees the contract one way and I see it the other way. They have stopped working on the property even though the house was sold through a real estate brokerage. Second, how can I prompt them to continue working.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I am sorry to hear you are in this difficult situation.

How much of the house is completed?

Do you owe them money?

How much would it cost to pay someone else to complete the work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
80%It will be paid on closeThe builder is in control of the timelines and sub trades so no. Can I go to the sales person from the real estate brokerage to facilitate communication. Do they have a legal obligation to represent my interests.

They do not have a legal obligation to represent your interests. Their legal duty is to the seller and not to you if you are the buyer.

You can speak to them and see if they can try to help.

But otherwise you need a lawyer who will threaten the builder with a lawsuit if necessary.

If there is anything in the contract that talks about dispute resolution then that has to be followed. So if it says you need to retain a mediator or arbitrator then that would be your next step.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?