Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My husband is coming to visit me in Canada from the USA he

Customer Question

My husband is coming to visit me in Canada from the USA he is visiting using an American travel doc I would like to sponsor him as I am a Canadian citizen and we have one biological boy and expecting the second , can I sponsor him as I don't want him going back to the state and he is an Iraqi citizen but has an asylum stat in the state
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Are you asking if this can be done from within Canada?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know it can but how long will it take and do u know a lawyer that will take my case in Edmonton and estimating cost

It will take about a year and the good news is that while he is waiting he can work because the law has changed and he can get an open work permit once he applies for the sponsorship and then he can work for whomever he wants.

It will likely cost about $1500 - $2000.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?