Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I worked in Saudi Arabia and was constantly harassed at work

Customer Question

Hi, I worked in Saudi Arabia and was constantly harassed at work place by the owner of the company. Now I heard that the same employer lives in Canada and own assets here, can I file for damages ?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Province of Quebec
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The person is still a Saudi Citizen and owns assets in Montreal
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question.I'm sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation.I don't know the law in Saudi Arabia but can't you sue the employer there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I could sue the employer there but would have lost my job and then very little possibility of getting justice there. Also, workplace harassment laws were inadequate and in-effective. Since the employer visits Canada now, I want to know if I can take him to a Canadian court ?
Unfortunately, there's no possibility of your being able to sue the employer in Canada. The Canadian court does not have jurisdiction over this matter because you were working in Saudi Arabia.If you were to sue the employer in Saudi Arabia and got a judgement then you could seek to enforce that judgement against the employer's assets in Canada by registering that judgement with the court.But, you do have to sue in Saudi Arabia first.Does that clarify the law?Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you do not have any follow-up questions I hope that I have earned a five star rating despite the fact that I could not provide you with the answer that you were hoping for. If you do not feel that I have earned a five star rating then please let me know how I can better assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will still be here for you and you can still ask follow-up questions at a later date at no further charge.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?