Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was wondering what my rights are as a tenant when I get

Customer Question

Hi, I was wondering what my rights are as a tenant when I get laid off and have to move because I can't pay the rent anymore. The landlord agreed verbally to it and later changes her mind, rents the place out for a $1000 less because off how the economy is right now and comes after me now for the rest of the rent for the rest of the rental agreement time.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

I am sorry you are in this difficult situation.

Are you saying your landlord agreed that you could end your lease and so you moved out and now, later on, she is coming after you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she agreed first and than when she couldn't rent it out for the same price she changed her mind.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know if you know the situation here in Cold Lake, Alberta but people are handing in there keys daily to the banks because there is no work here after the oil prices dropped. The next big layoffs are coming tomorrow.

Well that is not acceptable. There is no changing one's mind.

When there is an offer and an acceptance of that offer there is a binding contract.

Had she not agreed then you would be on the hook for the difference until the end of your lease. But she did agree.

If her father is a lawyer and knows the truth he knows that a verbal contract in this case is binding.

So you can tell her what I've explained and then say you are happy to have a court decide.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, hopefully that will work, thank you.

If not then they will sue you in Small Claims Court and you can self-represent.

And then I will happily help you through the process.

My name is***** and if you find you do need more help then when you post your next question you can put my name into the question and I will answer as soon as I can.

In fact I believe you have a subscription so you can ask as many questions as you want, so long as you start new posts for all new questions.

It will be fine.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?