Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

I recently married a woman (12 days ago) she has deceived me

Customer Question

Hello, I recently married a woman (12 days ago) she has deceived me by with holding information. She is 30,000 dollars in debt, collects welfare and osap. I shared our wedding night and the night after with her and since then have been at my mothers where me and my son have resided for the last two years. I would like to file for an anulment. Can I?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, thank you for your question.

Is she in debt since the marriage? Or did she have this debt prior to the marriage and didn't tell you about it?

Have you seen her since 2 days after the wedding?

What province are you each in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She had the debt prior to the marriage. I was informed after we said I do.No I have not seen since two days after our marriage.London Ontario
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't talked with her and told her that I am wanting an annulment or a legal separation until I have gotten legal advice. Is this the correct choice to make or should I tell her what I am doing?

It's not easy to get an annulment in Canada. There are some extremely specific grounds which support a claim for an annulment. You could claim fraud in that she hid her large debt, but I suspect that this isn't enough. There's a decent summary of annulment issues here: http://www.canadiandivorcelaws.com/annulment/

In your case, I can appreciate why you want an annulment. You don't want anyone who is trying to collect from your wife to come after you. Whether they can will depend on who is that debtor is and whether you have any joint assets. It sounds like you don't anyway.

You're already legally separated, and have been since the day that it was clear to both of you that the "spousal relationship" was now over, although you remain legally married. Many people go years remaining married although they are separated, with a separation agreement and all issues settled. The divorce really is just a piece of paper saying you're free to remarry.

Don't tell her what you're doing before you decide what it is you are doing. Make some appointments with family law lawyers in London who will give you a free consult, and ask them what they recommend in your situation and what it would cost. An annulment might not be any more advantageous to you than a quick divorce.

Does that make sense as a starting point? Check that website I cited and get back to me if there's anything else about this to discuss. If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please. Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Right now I have just walked away from the marriage and have told her I feel deceived. She I be telling her this is over?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I be telling her this is over I meant
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello I need to know if I should notify her that our marriage is done as neither of us have said so at this point. I've just left.

I'm back before bed. You've asked if you should tell her. There's nothing to be lost by telling her, and if you do tell her then you have a firm separation date. In fact, there's a possibility that she'll agree with you that the marriage was a mistake, right?

Sorry, I don't do phone calls. The site is based in the US and is not a law firm.

Anything else to discuss?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please call me!!! Please
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, I missed your last message. Since our marriage lots has come to light. The description of her money, illness and now she is proclaiming pregnancy.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How should I handle this pregnancy? If she even is?

How likely do you think it is that she's pregnant?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's a 50/50 chance. I haven't been told by her that she is, but she is implying it to others and well once conversation we had she told me she couldn't have the mir done because of possible pregnancy. I feel completely set up in this. She also has collected over 25,000 from me in the last four months of us being together.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I'm back, sorry for the delay.

I know that it's worrisome. She might be pregnant. You could simply call her and ask her, but you won't know whether she's lying or not. You'll just have to wait and see.

As I wrote, go see some family law lawyers where you are to discuss the fees for doing an annulment application.

Anything else?

Any developments?