Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment

My son left the scene of an accident by hitting a car,that

Customer Question

My son left the scene of an accident by hitting a car,that was yesterday at 5 pm,the police came over and left a card looking for him,it's now 7am,my son just phoned me iam going to pick him up at is friends and ask him what happened,the police said there were 2 witness,what the first thing I should do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

How old is your son? Who owns the car he was driving?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's 36 and owns his truck

OK, your son needs to contact a criminal lawyer asap.

Normally I would say that he is under no obligation to return the call of the police officer. They will want to talk to him about it, and anything he says can be used against him. They might want for him to come in for an interview, same thing. This is why one shouldn't talk to the police; your son is under no obligation to help the police gather evidence against him to lay charges.

If they are going to lay a charge, then they'll lay the charge. He can't talk his way out of it, unless it's a case of mistaken identity or he has a rock solid alibi.

If your son gets a criminal lawyer to call the police for him, then that's much better. Your son won't say or do anything that can be used against him.

If your son wants to call the police then he can. But he must not say anything about what happened, especially if it turns out he actually was there and the police have the right man. Remember, he can't talk his way out of a charge if the charge is coming, and if the police actually have two witnesses that are good then your son will be charged regardless of what he says to the police.

Does that make sense? I'll await your question or comment. If I've answered you fully I'd appreciate a positive service rating please. Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Did your son call the police?