Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

My daughter has sole custody of my 11 year old grand

Customer Question

My daughter has sole custody of my 11 year old grand daughter. My daughter receives $1250 a month my my grand daughters father for the last 10 years. Her father is I believe a multi millionair. He owns at least 2 tim hortons and he and his wife own a multimillion dollar equestrian farm north of Toronto. He has other businesses one of which is head of security for Tony Robbins. I suspect he has other businesses, His wife is the Canadian president of Seniors helpers. When we went to court 10 years ago he stonewalled us costing thousands of dollars in legal fees. I wish I had the money to hire a forensic accountant to find his true income.
Question How to we find his true income and are there any lawyers as who don,t get paid until theb cas is settled
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

In what province are your daughter and grand daughter?

Did they wind up with a an order when at court ten years ago?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Should I assume that you don't have the order there in front of you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I don,t have it

OK, that would have helped a lot, but we can assume a few things.

The vast majority of court orders made in family court over the recent past will have a clause which says that the payor is to provide the recipient with his income information annually, probably including Income Tax Return or Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada. Sometimes the parents are ordered to exchange their income information annually, especially if they are sharing the child's extraordinary expenses over and above child support.

Even if that term isn't in the order, your daughter is entitled to ask yearly because she's the support recipient.

Do you know if your daughter has been receiving this information? Or if she's asked for it?

I'm stepping away from my computer for a bit, perhaps you're asking your daughter about the order and about whether she's asked him for his income disclosure. I'll be back online this afternoon.