How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99009
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hope this email finds you well, I have a couple of

Customer Question

Hello,I hope this email finds you well,
I have a couple of questions regarding citizenship and immigration. I just got the temporary visa/work permit approved yesterday, I am planning on travelling there soon so I can start my citizenship application. When can I apply for the citizenship and how many years do I have to live there in order to get it, Also, they will count one year out of my four years of university right? Is there a statute of limitations for this one year? And, after how long will I get the PR?.
Thank you so much,Have a great day
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I graduated from Carleton Unviersity in Ottawa, Ontario this year. My graduation ceremony is in November.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Either call me or Reply here, please do so asap. Thank you,
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Did you apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit?

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Please ignore the last post it was for another customer but the site had a glitch.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

The first post I provided is what I want you to read.


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have applied for a Post-graduate work permit, and it was approved.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

You cannot apply for citizenship at this point. You are not yet a temperament resident.

You will be able to apply for permanent residency status after working in your chosen field for at least 12 months full time.

You would apply under the Canada Experience Class and can read about that here:

Once you are eligible you will be able to get this application process in under one year.

To apply for citizenship you must meet the following residency requirements (this is from the CIC website):

You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application.

When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident of Canada.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Under the new laws, it is said that since I studied in Canada for four years and graduated there. They would count up to one year of those four years. I will go work for a year, apply for the PR then I would have around a year and a half to stay in Canada in order to get the citizenship. That is what I heard from other lawyers.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

That is not correct.

Read this page. It was last updated at the end of July, 2016, that is a few weeks ago:

Is is on the Canada Immigration website so it accurate of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for all your responses, but I still have a question. There's a bill that got approved by Parliament (C-24) states otherwise, it says that international students living temporarily in canada to study, can count up to a maximum of one year towards the PR and citizenship application.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Please provide me with the section. I don't know if that is enforce or not and will try and check for you.

The full Bill is not enforce at this time and may be repealed or at least amended by the new government.

Related Canada Law Questions