Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Can you stop cancel or withdraw a tort (personal injury

Customer Question

Can you stop cancel or withdraw a tort (personal injury dmdages from mva)?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that this happened to you.

I am not quite clear what you mean. Are you asking about withdrawing your claim or amending it in some way?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not asking about the insurance accident benefits claim. Ok with this.I am asking about the litigation side suing for damages via tort in ontario canadaOur law firm has some costs ie dispursements medical experts dmedical Dr files and billable hours. No pretrial or trial yet.Can we ask our law firm to drop the tort?
Can it be dropped?
And do we need to pay out their costs to do so?
I am talking about the lawsuit. But I still am not sure what you want to do.Are you asking about your lawyer changing what you are suing for?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I thought I was clear. Let me try thisIs it possible legally to ask our lawyer to cancel and drop the tort. Can we drop it. Cancel. Not change. Just drop it. Hoping you are a Canadian lawyerIf we can simply cancel and drop not pursuing do we need to pay our law firms costs to do so
Of course I am a Canadian lawyer. Do not worry about that.You can decide not to go ahead. But if the other side has already done some work such as putting in a statement of defence they will not necessarily agree for you to withdraw the claim and you may have to pay their costs as well as your own lawyer's cost. It will not cost very much for your lawyer to withdraw the claim unless the other side does not agree.Does that answer your question?Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions that you may have. If you do not have any follow-up questions I hope that I have earned a five star rating. If you do not feel that I have earned this rating then please do not hesitate to let me know how I can better assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will still be here for you and you can and you can ask follow up questions at a later date without any further charge.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?