Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My daughter is attending a summer program through our city

Customer Question

My daughter is attending a summer program through our city (Terrace BC) .It is stated in registration and info that the program is peanut - free " no exceptions" My daughter has a peanut allergy. Today the program provided a treat that was not peanut -free. The workers claimed this is ok and provided an alternative (a coupon to an ice cream shop that is not peanut -free). What is the city's legal obligation here?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

I am shocked and saddened to hear this.

How old is your daughter?

Was she put at risk or was she just left out?

What is the explanation for this being okay?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My daughter is 8 years old. She was left out of the activity. They asked her if she could eat the chocolate. When she wasn't sure they decided to exclude her. Their explanation was that they had done this in the past (provided non peanut -free snacks) and other children were not harmed when they ate the chocolate (from a bulk food bin where there could be cross-contamination). The leader also stated her supervisor at the city was ok with this. Also they provided her with an alternative (coupon). However I stated that this was exclusionary and isolating. She has been in this program for two years and at no time was I ever informed that there would be communal snacks. As far as I was aware the only food she would be able to eat was the food I sent for her.
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

You said you were speaking to the city supervisor the next day. What came out of that conversation?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She agreed that the program should be peanut free including any treats provided by the city. She said she would discuss this with the program leaders. So it seems things are resolved. Thank you.
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for letting me know. I was really troubled by what happened and I am glad this appears to be resolved.

Take good care.