How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97489
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was terminated in a public place without a witness. Do you

Customer Question

I was terminated in a public place without a witness. Do you know the case where a person received a judgement based on this same type of situation?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear that this happened to you.

How long did you work for the employer for?

Are you been dismissed for just cause or are they providing you with termination pay?

If they are part providing you with termination pay how many weeks or months did they offer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
10 months
Very limited term payI am most interested in the public place part. Please and thank-you :)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there? Maybe looking it up?
Sorry to be impatient. I've never used this system before
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry. I wrote an answer but it failed to post.

Please wait a minute and I will redo it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

The law is that in almost all cases the amount of termination pay you are entitled to is based on how long you worked for your employer.

You didn't work for the employer for very long and you would not be entitled to more than two weeks pay at the very most. But in fact it is most likely the case that the court would order one week's pay.

There are times when the manner of termination is so horrible that the court will order a higher level of damages then the one or two week's pay. So if you are saying that you were humiliated and that it's not that the termination was just in a public place but it was a public termination in the sense that others saw then I would think that you might be entitled to more damages.

But if it simply the case that were dismissed in public then that would not likely convince a court that you are entitled to more than the regular termination pay.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm looking for the actual case where a judge awarded more damages because the employee was terminated in a public place, causing humiliation and embarassment.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

We cannot provide caselaw but it is the case that if you were actually humiliated in public then you would possibly get a higher level of damages.

Do you want me to explain how you can do research on your own?

For us that is practicing law and we cannot do that online and can only do that for our own clients.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry to have wasted your time
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

You aren't wasting my time. I am trying to help. But I cannot breach the rules of my Law Society or the terms of service of the site.

There are no lawyers that will do research for you online. If you want a lawyer to do legal research unfortunately you will have to retain a lawyer and pay regular fees.

I know the legal system is very complex and very expensive which is why I try to do as much as I can over the site.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank-you again and I appreciate your time. I did not realize you weren't able to answer my question. I understand that now.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I was able to answer the bulk of your question but just cannot provide caselaw though as I said I am happy to explain how you can do your own research for free.