How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95894
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen and PR of Canada. I would like to apply

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and PR of Canada. I would like to apply for Canadian citizenship but I am unsure whether I meet the residency requirements. I accompanied my Canadian husband to the USA for 1 year since obtaining my permanent residence status. He was working for the International Monetary Fund. This is an international institution; he was representing Canada. Does the time I spent in the US with my husband count toward residency in Canada?
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Your situation is very unique as you likely know.

The law is clear and if your spouse was actually working for Canadian governmental agency that would be fine. But if the employer is not the Canadian government it is not likely that you will be able to argue that you are entitled to apply for citizenship at this point in time.

At the same time I would say that this may be a grey area and your best next step would be to retain an immigration lawyer to assist you with your application.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband can obtain a letter written from a lawyer at the IMF that states the institution is an international governmental organization that works on behalf of Canada and that he could not have performed the job in Canada. Would this make a difference? And, if so, should I submit such letter with my application? In general, would it harm a potential later application if I apply for citizenship now, even if it means getting turned down?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

It will not harm your application later if you apply now and don't succeed.

Yes a lawyer writing that out may very well work.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything more I can assist you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions