Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Evening, I have recently resigned my position as manager of

Customer Question

Evening, I have recently resigned my position as manager of Protective Sevices. Tonight it was announced to the entire membership that I was terminated due to misconduct by the acting Manager who took my spot when I called this direct report I was told he was not responsible for his actions. I believe this is defamation would I be correct?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Your post is not clear. Who said that you were terminated for misconduct?

Who said he was not responsible for his actions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The new acting Manager of Protective Setvices told all the staff tonight that I was let go. When I questioned the City Manager he advised he is not responsible for the new manager actions.

I understand.

This is defamation and you can sue the acting manager for telling this lie which can most assuredly harm your reputation.

I suggest that you or a lawyer acting for you send him a letter demanding that he provide you with a written retraction and apology and that he also provide the staff with a written retraction and threaten a lawsuit.

Then if he fails to comply your next step would be to sue him.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When this broke last night I called the administrator who manages the Manager and advised I wanted a retraction and an apology he replied with I will not be getting one.

But to be able to sue the law states you must provide them with a letter making these demands.

You've been told they won't so really your best next step is to have a lawyer rather than you send the letter.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?