Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is a person receiving the ODSP "Board and Lodge" benefit

Customer Question

Is a person receiving the ODSP "Board and Lodge" benefit required to pay rent to be eligible?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

How much in total are you getting monthly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I used to get $850, up until this month - they gave me $1100 for August. I believe the change is due to a misunderstanding on the phone where they thought I was paying rent. I am pretty sure I am not supposed to receive $1100, so I am going to call them and report it of course, but now it has made me wonder if I was supposed to be paying rent when I used to receive $850.

You were not supposed to pay rent when you were getting the $850.

They gave your more now because they do believe you are paying rent to your parents.

But before you call them you should speak to your parents because you can pay them the shelter allowance for room and board and then keep the higher amount and they do not have to pay tax on the rent because you are a blood relative.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the help! Is there anyway I can view that information anywhere, like on the government website? I'm sure you're right, I'd just like to see it if that's possible.How much would I have to pay in rent in order to keep the higher amount?

Here is something to read:

http://www.ronmalis.com/odsp-is-not-a-measure-of-last-resort/

And what I suggest is that you or someone calling for you anonymously ask these questions of a staff member who works at ODSP.

You can also ask a lawyer at your local legal aid clinic.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** won't speak to anyone anonymously. They will only let you speak to your caseworker and you have to identify yourself. May I ask where you got the information?Also, how much would I have to pay in rent in order to keep the higher amount?

That is not quite true. I have called them myself.

You do not have to identify yourself.

You just don't call about your case.

You call and say you are just asking for some general information for a friend.

People call every day to ask for general information.

I found you a site where someone explains the law clearly in lay person terms and you should read that.

The Act is to hard for a layperson to understand.

It is not just for rent. It is for lodging and that is where you get room and board (food bought and prepared for you) so there is no one specific amount for rent.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Ron Malis website? I've read that previously. This was a last resort for me as I googled it extensively, looking for a dependable source. I would like to hear it "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.I have gotten my mother to call them in the past regarding travel and that's what they told us. I will try again and get back to you, however.

Your mother can call but has to say she simply has a general information and needs some basic information and that is is not about a specific case.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

This post has been going on for a long time so I want to try and wrap it up.

Thanks