Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a ticket for drive - handheld communication device

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a ticket for drive - handheld communication device and I have a trial next month
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have the disclosure
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. This seems to be quite a common occurrence these days.

What specifically is your question please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question is what are my chances of winning, I have obtain the disclosure and am looking to retain a lawyer if it helps

I cannot possibly know what your chances of winning are because I do not know the facts.

However, what I can tell you with certainty is that the way most people deal with this successfully is that they speak to the officer in the courtroom on the day of the trial and they make a deal with the crown where they plead guilty to a lesser offence and this is generally a good outcome for everyone because the crown likes to make this type of deal to avoid a trial and you will end up having to pay a fine but harming your driving record or insurance rates.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do you make deal with the crown, my trial is set on September 20th at 1:30 pm what time should I go and what is the process to make deal with the crown. Is it possible to do before the trial date
It is not likely possible to do it before the trial date. You should go about a half an hour early and speak to the police officer. The officer will speak to the crown on your behalf. If the officer agrees to make the deal the crown will almost definitely agree.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the incentive for the police officer to make the deal
The police officer and crown do not want to take up the court's time with trials.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the disclosure, it says
white toyt van curb lane
driver holding a blk iPhone with both hands manipulating screen over 5 sec
4380 left turn lane
driver then put cell appeared to be centre console
veh stop photo id blk iPhone in cup holder center
overcast dry
no tint
red lightThere are few things that are wrong
first I did not use iPhone with both hands manipulating screen....actually call came in and I just touch the phone to receive it by one finger touch as I already have blue tooth in my van. Would my defense help me or it does not matter - please adviseAlso what is the meaning of 4380 left turn lane - no tint - red light

It doesn't help. You still breached the laws.

These terms are just describing what they say. You were in the left turn lane, at a red light. Your window are not tinted.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK - thanks, Siraj
You are very welcome.

I hope you feel that I have earned a five star rating. If you do not please do not hesitate to let me know how I can better assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you can always post back other follow-up questions at a later date without any further charge.

Is there anything else I can help you with at this point in time?