Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was born in the US. My mother was Canadian, and became a

Customer Question

I was born in the US. My mother was Canadian, and became a naturalized US citizen when I was 5. I want dual citizenship. Mother is 86 and not able to cooperate. How can I get my papers to claim my dual citizenship?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  JenniferImmLaw replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the licensed attorney helping you today.

I'm happy to help but I'm a little confused on your question. If you were born in the US then you are a US citizen by birth and you would not need to be "naturalized." Therefore, I'm not sure what you mean when you said that you were naturalized when you were 5.

Are you now trying to get Canadian citizenship, as this is a US area and I could only answer questions about US law?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My question is about claiming my dual citizenship as a Canadian. I have always had a US Birth Certificate and there is no question about my being a citizen of the US.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you are not the proper attorney to help me, then this should be cycled through again. I am not trying to get US citizenship. I am a US citizen and want to claim my dual Canadian citizenship.

Thank you. As far as Canadian citizenship, you do qualify for Canadian citizenship. You are already a Canadian citizenship but you just nee dto apply for proof of it. Here is the information on how to apply. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp

There is no issue to do this as both the US and Canada acknowledge dual citizenship .

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I explained in my initial question, my parent is not able to cooperate. The application process requires documents (like her birth certificate) that I do not have, so I need a to do this. I cannot be up all night with this, and I am convinced you are unfamiliar with this process. I do not need information about "how to apply", but rather how to obtain the documents needed to apply when the Canadian born parent is alive and not able to cooperate.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a way to do this typo

No problem... I will refer you to a Canadian expert.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can this process be completed tomorrow?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also how do the charges work? I have so far only made my request understood. I do not want to be charged.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry you are in this difficult situation and very sorry that the US lawyer didn't send your question to the correct list at once.

You can apply for a birth certificate for your mother but please let me know her province and I will explain what to do.

You will certainly not be charged twice for this question. Please don't worry about that.