Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver, BC from Denver

Customer Question

Hello, I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver, BC from Denver Colorado. I co-own a couple businesses in the US and just looking to work from my house. Curious how I can legally live in Cabada for a year or two, whether I'll owe US and Canadian income taxes and if my girlfriend will need paperwork to find a job on Canada...
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Are you asking about becoming a permanent resident of Canada?

Is your girlfriend your common law spouse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, I don't intend to become a permanent resident, im just looking to live there for a year or two (can look into further options if we decide to stay longer). My girlfriend has lived with me for 5 years, common law would depend on who you ask (I think Canadian law would say "yes"). I own my business, would work from home but my girlfriend would need to be able to find a job in Canada. The last thing is want is to move there and be told that I can't legally work while in Canada...

You can come to visit but that visit can only be for six months. You may be able to stay longer if you leave and come back but there is no basis for you to move to Canada just like that. It is the same as i the US. People cannot move to the US and live there. They need to get a green card.

You also cannot work in Canada without a work permit. But if you are not entering the workforce it may be OK.

And if your girlfriend comes to Canada she would need to obtain a work permit.

Do you see what I mean. Just think about how it works in the States and you will understand how it is in Canada as well.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Do you need any more help at this point in time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help, it seems if I'm looking to stay longer I'll have to go through Canada's immigration site and apply for the proper permits (green card, work permits).

We don't have green cards.

But if you want to work here for a time then you would need a work permit.

Your green card is what we call becoming a permanent resident.

I am terribly sorry to hear this.

Are you saying the $200 is just a credit for another flight?