Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Does Canada consider me a citizen? My mom was born in Canada

Customer Question

Does Canada consider me a citizen? My mom was born in Canada to Canadian parents in 1944. She and her family moved to the United States when she was 13, and she became a US citizen at 18. She did not renounce her citizenship with the Canadian government. I was born in the US in 1977, and I have always lived in the US. Would I be given a Canadian citizenship certificate if I apply for it?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. You are most assuredly a Canadian citizen. You do not have to apply for citizenship. Rather, you simply have to apply for a documentation that acknowledges you are a citizen. After that you would be free to get a Canadian passport if you wish.

All you will have to prove to the government is that your mother was a Canadian citizen when you were born.

Does that answer your question?

Feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you might have. If you feel we are done I hope that I have earned a five star rating. If you do not feel that I have and please do not hesitate to let me how I can better assist you. Finally, please understand that even after you wake me I will still be here for you if you have any follow questions if you think of them a later date.