Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment

My husband & I will be living at different addresses next

Customer Question

My husband & I will be living at different addresses for the next year or to. This is not a divorce or separation. He'll be staying at the primary address with our one son to help with the work & I'll be staying at the secondary address with our other son so I won't be by myself. Do I need to change the address on any personal documents?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Manitoba Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not since this isn't a divorce or separation
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: What do you suggest?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

I understand that you're not considering this a separation, but living apart makes it look like one for sure. How far apart will you be living? Do you own the home that you're moving into?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it's an apartment.

Well, you asked a simple question so I'll answer it. If you're still married and not separated, then you don't need to change your primary address from the matrimonial home.

But this sure looks like a separation. Whose idea was this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We're about 20 kms apart
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's more out of convenience for me to be living in town. We'll still have a joint bank account, & spend time together & raise our children. It's an odd situation.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both of ours. We'll back in one place or another within a year or two. So I guess that's why I wouldn't call it a separation but I see your point. I just know that some couples because of work live in separate places.

Well, you're not separated or divorcing until one of you says that the spousal relationship is over. If you're married and your name is ***** ***** to the main property then you aren't losing anything by this relationship.

So you don't need to change any of your ID or addresses or anything like that.

Anything else to discuss?

I don't know if you've seen what I wrote yet, but I'm still here to follow up with your legal issue.

Or if I've answered you fully I'd appreciate a positive service rating please. That's how I get credit from the site for helping it's customers.

This thread is still open, waiting for a rating or to be closed, or for us to continue discussing your matter.

I don't know if you've read what I wrote yet. Shall we continue?