Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I live in Maple Ridge BC. I have a condo that was purchased

Customer Question

Hi There, I live in Maple Ridge BC. I have a condo that was purchased in my name by my son and rented out. He missed paying the strata fees from Jan 1 2010 till Aug 1 2010. A lien was placed on the amount of 770.88. He did not know of the lien fee of 350.00 and paid 984.43. He continued to pay for the strata fee every month 96.36 but April 15 2011 the strata put another lien on the 232.81 owing from the first lien. His outstanding bal including the bal of the second lien is now 582.81. He is not aware of these charges as he had moved and the information was sent to the old address. He continues to pay monthly for the strata fees which come out of his account automatically. One of the payments is nsf sept 6 because of money issues. the amount now goes up to 839.07. There is also a levy of 234.86 charged May 1 which he is not aware of and the bal goes up to 1120.19. My question is does he have to pay for the first lien charge if he did not know about it and can they put a lien on the 232.81 owing from the first lien and continue to add fines on the total outstanding amount. Does he have to pay to have these liens removed. I have now sold the condo and am told I have to pay another 1600.00 to have them removed by their lawyer.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

It's not clear to me why your son missed those first payment. Can you explain that please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure. I'm trying to get a hold of him on the phone. He prides himself on paying everything on time.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just spoke to him he says that he changed bank accounts when he bought his new house in Jan 2010
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there. I'm waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not happy with this service. Please do not charge my credit card account.

I am very sorry. I lost my Internet. I'm very happy to continue. May I do so?