Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

A member of a different religion asked if s group rent a

Customer Question

a member of a different religion asked if his group rent a church hall once a week. How do I respond without correctly so he doesn't feel that I am turning down his request based on our differences in religious beliefs ?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ontario, Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: not really
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult and clearly awkward situation.

Why are you turning him down?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Our church was built by a very thigh, ethnic based, Christian community. Parishioners would feel awkward coming to their own church and seeing people of a completely different religion, who perhaps do not understand our culture and traditions. People belonging to our church may find it offending if someone is not respecting our religious rules and traditions and does not observe them in our own church

Are the parishioners members of the church? Could you say that is how your church is structured?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
parishioners are registered members of the church. If they are not registered, they can attend the religious services but can not use church facilities other than the main place for worshipping
Then there's your answer. You cannot be criticized and cannot be said that there is any sort of favouritism or discrimination when you have rules that are clear. No one may use the premises unless they are a member. So that is all you have to say. You can say that it is the church policy not to rent the facilities to outsiders.How does that sound?Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you feel we are done I hope that I have earned a five star rating. If you do not feel that way then do not hesitate to let me know how I can better assist you. Finally, please know that even after you ratevme I will be here for you so that if you think of new follow-up questions afterwards you can still ask them at no further charge.