How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98935
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a writ against a BC citizen, how do i apply it?

Customer Question

i have a writ against a BC citizen, how do i apply it?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Ontario, canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, cant. im over extended $
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i dont think so!
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I'm very happy to help you with your question.

When you say you have a writ against this person, what exactly is this about?

Do you know where the person is and do you know where their assets are?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ontario superior court of justice writ of seizure and sale of land, $2000 + by the time you add in the interest.
he is in British Columbia
and i'm almost 100% positive he no longer has any assets in Ontario
his assets are in British Columbia
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

You cannot use the writ from Ontario in BC.

You will need to take the Judgment you have obtained in Ontario and then register it in the Court in BC where he lives.

Then you can seek to enforce the order there.

I suggest you consider retaining a lawyer or a paralegal to do this for you.

And it will be much cheaper to have his bank account seized or his wages garnished rather than seizing his land as that will cost you a lot unfortunately.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the writ was on his building here in Ontario and he still manage to sell it as i found out yesterday, now i can see why the landlords or owners have the laws on there side. when you have money you have power every one else are in the mud hole. Here, please have a look at this useless piece of paper i'm going to start my bun fire with it tonight. On Monday i'll go the Sheriffs office and find out it wasn't unforced. Thanks
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

You should go to the Sheriff's office without a doubt.

But I believe they are going to tell you that they have the discretion not to enforce and do so when the costs of enforcement are unreasonable in relation to what you are owed.

But for sure see what they say. You can likely even call them during regular business hours.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Did you call the Sheriff's office?

Related Canada Law Questions