Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is there a statute of limitation as to when you can charge

Customer Question

Is there a statute of limitation as to when you can charge someone with criminal harassment
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: o
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

In Canada the law is that if the old fence is a summary conviction then the person must be charged with in six months of the offence occurring.

However, if the Crown decides to proceed by way of indictment, this would have to be for a very serious set of facts relating to criminal harassment, then there is no limitation period.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything else I can help you with?