Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I need your help. How dose my friend change her statement

Customer Question

I need your help.
How dose my friend change her statement she made to the RCMP, about a assault charge against another person. As well as charges of unsafe storage of a firearm.
She talked to the RCMP a couple of days latter and explained that what had happened was not correct, the officer got very mad and yelled and shouted at her and said they were going ahead any way, they had no grounds, All fire arms were stored and locked, tiger locked and in a locked room. The assault never happened. It was in the heat af the moment and anger that made her say the things she said and did.
I was told she could get a lawyer to help her change her statement but she has no money.
she does not know how to get a hold of the prosecutor involved in the case, and they have not contacted her in months.
This happened in Alberta.
Thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Did the RCMP talk about charging your friend?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They told her that she could be charged.

So she has been told the law.

What I can tell you that is clear here is that someone is going to face serious criminal charges. If she persists in saying that she lied to the police there is little possibility that the police will believe her and withdraw all these charges. And frankly, there is no possibility that they will do this and forget the matter. She will be charged with public mischief and end up with a criminal record.

So she had better find some way to borrow money or pay her own lawyer by credit card because she is taking very dangerous steps here. The criminal system does not allow the victim or alleged victim to simply change her mind and take back some very, very serious allegations. If she made these up she is in serious trouble frankly, and if she did not she is going to be harming herself but won't be assisting the person she made the report about.

Do you see what I mean?

She has involved the police and she is now immersed in a serious system that can result in dire consequences one way or the other.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The firearm charges are based on what she told them.
They found no firearms stored improperly or ammo.
She never seen any firearms at this residence at the time this took place.
This is something she had made up to have this person chaged and to payback or get even.
She had did the same thing about 2 years ago.
And all charges were dropped and firearms returned to the owner.
is this something that the defence lawyer should know about?

I don't see how they would charge based on allegations made by someone who is angry.

I don't know what you mean when you ask if the defence lawyer should be told.

It could help the accused andcould harm your friend.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I should have the guy call you.
There is so much more she entered the house with a key she had, after she had been told to leave after a failed sueaside attempt, months prier to this. she was the one that pushed and hit the man as he was trying to leave his house, she came at him with a beer bottle, stopped and then smashed a glass table, which she then told the police he had pushed her into it causing it to break.
there were no makes on her except in her left hand when she smashed the glass table with the bottle and it broke in her hand. The police then allowed her and her daughter to go through and remove items while they were waiting for a search warrant to be issued.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.
This is something that he should be telling his own lawyer about.