Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

There. I faced a situation when the Landlord is pushing me

Customer Question

Hello, there. I faced a situation when the Landlord is pushing me to pay for the commercial premises I have vacated due to closing the business. I had to close the business the breach of contract from the Landlord damaged my business. My clients refused to visit the building, a it was physically impossible to stay in the unit longer than 10 minutes s it was extremely hot, no air to breath in any season of the year. I complained several times but in vain. Plus, the Landlord leased the ground floor for the Internet Games business, the customers of which smoke drugs. The smell was everywhere in the building. I have complained, but nothing was done. Again, my clients refused to visit me in the building. Another serious issue was the noise and loudness on the entire floor (due to heat business on the floor had to keep their doors open to perform their services - music academy, seminars for large groups of people). I closed the business as could not make any money, my clients refused to deal with me due to the conditions in the building. All these issues were critical to my business as I was providing psychological services to my clients. There was a lie from the Landlord all the time when I tried to resolve the issue of contract termination peacefully. Now, the landlord is threatening me to address to the collection company. Is it possible to sue the landlord for damage he did to my business? Or to make his stop threatening me? Thank you for your advice.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this exceedingly difficult and unfair situation.

I just want to ask you a couple of questions before I begin my answer.

How much longer do you have on the lease and how much rent do you all until the end of the lease?

Did you have a thriving business before you moved into these premises?