Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Tenant brought in a dresser from her sister into there

Customer Question

Tenant brought in a dresser from her sister into there apartment, her sisters apartment was infested with bed bugs, July 10 they took there bed, head board out, July 15 2016 they took there child's play pen out. I, Paul sprayed it to kill bed bugs, yes, lot of bed bugs. I made an emediate request to inspect apartment, really, I did not find any. Got an inspestor two days later to check, he could not find any more bed bugs. He could not check the dresser, it was so full of baby cloths. I asked the tenant, where could he bed bugs come in from? It was the dresser, and said that's when they, and the baby were bitten at night in the same bedroom. I spray bed bug spray in the hall ways so no other tenants get bed bugs. They gave there notice July6, that they are moving out July 31, question who is responsible for the cost of cleaning, insuring there is no more bed bugs? I do not think I can rent the suit out for one month. It must be bed bug free for my next tenant, I do not want a law suit on my shoulder. I sure hope you can solve my BIG bed bug problem.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this horrible situation.

What province are you in please?

Are you saying that you blame these people because you believe that the bedbugs were in the dresser? Do you believe that they thought they were in the dresser when they brought the dresser into the apartment?

Were they asked to take out the baby clothes from the dresser before it was checked by the inspector?