Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

When I moved into my apartment in August 2015, the neighbour

Customer Question

When I moved into my apartment in August 2015, the neighbour upstairs who is one of the owners of the building was patching up my ceiling in my bedroom and mentioned that she renovated her bathtub and it leaked downstairs. This morning, I woke up to water leaking from the ceiling and I thought it was raining inside my apartment. I told this owner about the leak and she said it would stop since they stopped showering. I sent my landlord an email about this and he said that this happened before and that she took a long time to fix it. He sent her an email and cc'd me asking when she would fix it and that he did not want to wait as long this time. My question is this: what are my rights as a tenant to have something fixed in a timely fashion? What if there are injuries if I or my family member slips and falls on a puddle of water every time they take a shower? I have a towel on the floor for now.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

I just want to figure out who the landlord is. Is the landlord one of the owners of the building and another owner lives upstairs?

Is the person you are for a considering your landlord the person who signed the lease?