Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a friend in Quebec who has already signed divorce

Customer Question

I have a friend in Quebec who has already signed divorce papers. He is paying his ex-wife $5000 Canadian and she and the kids are staying in an apartment that he is paying for. He has also been staying in the apartment but is moving out tomorrow. She has started legal proceedings and is now claiming a house by the lake from him. He feels very down and all attempts that I have made to him to go for legal advice has not helped
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

When you say he signed divorce papers what do you mean?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure but it sounds like he has signed divorce settlement which includes him paying his ex $5000 a month. I think he thought it would be over but now she is demanding more such as a house. I am trying to get him to go and see a lawyer
He is very down.
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

It's hard to answer as you don't know the facts.

But if there is a separation agreement and if she had independent legal advice she cannot ask for more now.

He may be very depressed and that is quite common but he has to see a lawyer because later on he will deeply regret it if he does not.

He is likely not even sure what he agreed to himself.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand. I will try and get him to go and see a lawyer. Can you give me a contact number of a good divorce lawyer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He would want to see someone because he isn't comfortable with technology
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how long should i wait?
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $30.

Here is a link to their contact information:

http://www.barreau.qc.ca/en/public/trouver/avocat/

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/directory/find-lawyers-or-law-firms/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have just found out personal final settlement has been signed but not business
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
mariage contract is ANC with acrual
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

I don't know what you mean by marriage contract is an ANC with accrual and I also don't know what you mean by the personal final settlement has been signed but not business. That is not how this works.

Do you know if the separation agreement said that all claims were settled?