Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I and my wife went out to a "Bistro Pub". I order a draft

Customer Question

I and my wife went out to a "Bistro Pub" for dinner. I order a draft beer on tap, from the beer list, which displayed the following prices 10 oz. - $ and a 20oz. price $10. I order the 20 oz. beer. the beer arrived at the table okay but while I was sitting there talking to my wife. I noticed the glass was the same one I have at home for the can beer which contains 440 ml.
I asked the waiter about the glass not able to hold 20 oz. and he went to the bar tender. The waiter came back and said they are checking into it but after that our dining service went North, ( cold in Alaska). No manager addressed the issue with me. The bill came as one pint Guinness $8.00. I feel they spoiled our dinner and made me look stupid.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

Did you ask to speak to the manager?

Are you saying they reduced the price of the beer by $2 so you were right?

But there was no apology and the service was terrible?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I never asked for a manager, my wife was upset. Nothing more was said about the beer to me in person. The glass only holds a little more than 14. oz. I feel the beer list said 20 oz. for $10. and I order 20 oz. but received a glass that hold 440 ml of liquid including the head. I feel I was mislead and how many other customers also.

You are obviously correct.

You can contact the manager and ask for a partial refund or if the service became so terrible that it ruined your night then ask for a full refund.

But otherwise there isn't anything that you can realistically do.

You cannot sue for this amount of money.

You can contact the Consumer Protection Branch and complain about false advertising but given my experience with them they won't do a thing. It is worth a try though.

But you can also tell the manager that this is false advertising and that he needs to correct it or else you will take legal steps to see that this is done. But really there isn't much you can do.

Do you see what I mean?