Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My company discovered an error in the payroll system after

Customer Question

My company discovered an error in the payroll system after 16 months, that apparently affects only me, and have issued me a bill for $12,361.00 and are asking for repayment. What happened is I went from full time salary to part time hourly and the payroll clerk entered my rate of pay as 27.5/hour, instead of 27.5 hours per week. Since this all occurred when I was dropping my hours, my pay was reduced and I never noticed the error either. So, on top of receiving a bill for 12,361, they are not correcting and re-issuing my T4 for 2015 and apparently have no intention of correcting my T4 for 2016, as they say this is "for my benefit". I feel that is for THEIR benefit as they would need to redo their corporate taxes to fix it properly and they are looking to avoid that, but recoup their costs. They have said that if I dont pay, why would I expect to remain with the company? (I've been with them 5 years). They have not shown me where this money went, no breakdowns, etc. Also we are in an economic slump, and I don't have the extra money to correct their mistake. It just doesn't seem like everything is on the up and up. Employment standards have indicated that it is not my responsibility but I may be sued. What are my options here?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

You owe them the money. That means you have to pay them or the will dismiss you for cause and they will sue you.

But they also to give you the amended T4 as you paid taxes on monies you have to return.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this answer coming from a BC Lawyer?

I am a lawyer in Canada but I am not in BC.

There are currently no active experts from BC on this site.

But I have been answering questions about the law in BC for nine years on this site. As well, the law in this area is the same throughout Canada.