How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97452
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a used car from a dealership in Vancouver. Upon

Customer Question

i bought a used car from a dealership in Vancouver. Upon purchasing the vehicle, the dealership stated that the car was under warranty for 30 days in the event of any mechanical issues. Two weeks into owning the car it started having problems. I returned the car to get fixed, but they refuse to do so. What are my rights as a consumer. Do I have a case?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

Why are they refusing to fix it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they said they would be losing money. They want me to sign it back over to them so they can fix it and put it in a car auction.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

So they want to take it back and provide you with a full deposit but are refusing to do the work the said was under warranty with them?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

There is no question that there is a binding contract and there is no question that they are breaching the contract.

They don't have the right to say they essentially want to change their minds. It is too bad if they lose money. Not only is there a binding contract but they are the experts!

So I suggest telling them what I just explained and making it clear that you will take whatever steps are necessary to enforce this fully binding contract.

If that doesn't work you can first contact the Consumer Protection Branch and ask if they can help with a warranty issue.

If not then you can then contact the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority and ask them for help:

If none of that works you can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Related Canada Law Questions