Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I put a $1000.00 down on a heavy duty truck. I did not like

Customer Question

I put a $1000.00 down on a heavy duty truck. I did not like the lease deal that was approved, and couldn't get any other finance. So I cancel the deal. The dealership said they were not returning the deposit. Should I take them to small claims court?
Bruce Hindle (###) ###-####
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Was there an agreement that you could get the deposit back or was this to be a non-refundable deposit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was no verbal or written agreement, that I can recall. When I cancelled the deal that is when the dealership mentioned the deposit was not going to be returned because they put money into the truck.

But you are saying you actually made a deal and want to change your mind? Is that correct?

Or was it that you were waiting to see if you could get a good deal and hadn't actually agreed to take the truck?

Did you believe that the deposit was refundable? What did they say about the deposit if anything? In other words what did they tell you it was for?

Did you know that they were going to start to do the work for you?