Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My sons father committed suicide between June 16 - 25th

Customer Question

My sons father committed suicide between June 16 - 25th 2016. The police station would not tell me when the body would be released. The family will not give me any information on that either. I tried to go home and get info but nothing. My sons fathers girlfriend has all his stuff. They recently moved into together and he got evicted so his stuff was still there. I know he has things our son might want pictures etc. I have tried contacting the family. His father is I guess in charge of the estate. Not sure he didn't have a will as far as I know. I want to apply for CPP benefits for survivor benefits for our son. He is 14 years old. But I can't get a obituary or a death certificate cause I don't even know if his body has been released. Who is entitled to his belongings etc. he only has one son does his effects and other monetary possession go to his heir or his father and or brothers. Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Is your son the only biological child of his father?

Are you saying the father is ignoring you even when you try and call?

Has he spoken to your son?