Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Problem with a guest overstaying in my rented condo. Help!

Customer Question

Recently I rented a condo downtown toronto for a little r and r. I was talking to another individual in a chatroom and he seemed cool so i invited him over to my condo. He quickly overstayed his welcome and left me feeling uncomfortable. the last day of my condo rental me and the indivual decided to go out to eat lunch but he had to go to a friends house first. Im not familiar with the downtown area and quickly got lost. He called me to pickhim up from a location but I didnt have data. Also my phone died. I went back to the airbnb but it was cancelled. I had to quickly leave because the owner had already rented out the place. The guy forgot his laptop in the condo so i decided to take it along. at first i was going to give him back his laptop but did not want to meet up wwith because he made me feel uncomfortable and was threatning me so i gave it to a friend to have. The next week he tracked me down beat me up and stole my car. I reported the incident and told the police the whole truth that I stole his laptop. In the even they find him will i also be charged for theft for stealing is laptop?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Are you saying you refused to give him back his laptop?

When you told the police the story what did they say about the laptop issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have his laptop any more. I gave it away to someone. The police just asked and I told the truth that I don't have it anymore. They said I should bring it but I dont have it. What will happen to me now?

I don't know if they will charge you or not. They likely will say it is a civil matter.

But he can sue you for the replacement cost.

It sounds like he might not want to bother given these facts.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The police found and arrested him and found my car. Does he have a time frame to sue me? Also I am in Toronto, Canada.

He has to sue within two years from the time you took the laptop.

The police are not going to arrest you.