Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I signed a severance package accepting the terms and

Customer Question

I signed a severance package accepting the terms and severance payment. After handing in the letter of acceptance I was contacted by the company through email the total amount to be paid to me was incorrect and that I was not entitled to a certain article of the union agreement. The company has since sent a new letter with a lower severance that is $30,000 less than the initial amount. I signed and submitted paperwork that was also signed by company executive, does this paperwork have any legal value or is it simply a case of "oops" on the company's part?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

Are you saying that there was a firm offer and a firm acceptance of the offer and then later you heard they wanted to change it?