Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My employer fired me, has not provided me with a Record of

Customer Question

My employer fired me , has not provided me with a Record of Employment, and refuses to pay me my final cheque. They are also accusing me of stealing $8500 in cash when I did not. One customer stated to them that he gave me $3500 and I am sure I receipted it and there seems to be no record. The other Customer gave $5000 cash and I left it in the folder because the safe is in another building across the street. I went in on my day off and they fired me for attendance and not being good at paperwork. I did not get fired for theft. The money was in the folder and I wanted to reconcile all my files and offered to but they wanted me to leave right away and supervised me while I cleaned out my office and my Demo (Car they provided to me to drive). I am a finance manager at a car dealership and have been for 10 years and have never had an issue such as this. I believe the only evidence that they have is the customers saying that they gave me the money. I literally have had $5 in my bank account and a huge amount of bills including my mortgage being behind. You would think if I had that kind of money my bills would be paid! I would like to go to the labour board for my money but I have a huge issue with being arrested and accused and having my reputation tarnished and my sales licence taken away. I live in Edmonton, Alberta.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

I am not quite following the facts. Were you arrested and did you lose your license or are you worried that that might happen?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am worried that it might happen and I will be embarrassed and have a tarnished reputation. I have no criminal record and have never had an issue such as this before.

But this happened over a month ago didn't it? And nothing has happened since?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing but I am afraid if I go to the Labour Board for my final pay (which has put me in a financial crisis), They will go ahead and charge me with theft over $5000 since they are trying to "recoup" the "lost" money. I really care about my career and my reputation. I have been in my career for 10 years and something like what they are accusing me of would basically render me "unemployable" and ruin my good reputation.

So perhaps the best approach would be to consider employing an employment lawyer who can send them a letter putting them on notice that if they damage your reputation you will sue them for defamation and seek considerable damages but so long as you do not hear that they have made any further allegations against you which are false and so long as they pay you all that they owe you you will consider the matter to be at an end.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
your recommendation would be to contact an employment lawyer first, not the labor board correct?

Yes it would.